Casting clear gems with EpoxACast
Short, written tutorial [video has more information, this is just a little summary!]:
- Chavant NSP Medium
- Oomoo 30
- Ease Release 200
- EpoxACast 690 Clear
- hotglue gun
ATTENTION!! Your health and safety should always come first! Please read the safety instructions that come with the materials and follow them!
- The basic shape of the gem is cut from clay.
- The facets are cut into it and smoothened with water
- The silicone is being mixed. Attention! Please follow the safety instructions for working with silicone! Mixing ratio is 1:1 and you’re done mixing once there are no pink or blue stains in the silicone.
- Only when all air bubbles have vanished (yet before pot life expires), the silicone is poured in a thin stream from the deepest point of the moldbox.
- After 6 hrs the silicone has cured. Before mixing and pouring the resin, I used a release agent. When working with resin, you have to follow the safety instructions and protect your skin, eyes and respiratory system by wearing the necessary protection and working in a well ventilated area! Mixing ratio is 100 parts of epoxy to 30 parts of hardener. Use a kitchen scale to measure, stir carefully so there will be no bubbles, pour carefully.
- After 24 hours the epoxy is cured and hard. You can now demold it.
- Pro-tip: Put mirrorfoil behind it for le shine!
You can find aditional information about the materials and possibilities this technique gives you in my facebook-gallery on this topic!